Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti Recipe

Because I rarely cook and because this was the first recipe I ever went free-style on, I thought I better record it for posterity. It actually turned out really well. Delicious even. And, although I almost blew up the stove (I think it was pissed at me - I've ignored it for quite awhile. Who was I to think I could cook on her? The very idea.), the meal turned out. This happened in the middle of boiling chicken (I didn't even know you could do that. How ignorant am I?). But, after Lee did some handyman work, we were back up and running, no worse for the wear. And, I actually fed my family. Score! But, I haven't done it since. Fail. Oh well, I'll give her another go soon. However, I will be donning some protective gear next time in case the stove wants to get up in my business again. Not in my...er, Lee's kitchen.

Chicken Spaghetti

1 (7 ounce) package ready cut spaghetti
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 (10.75 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can diced tomatoes w/chile peppers, drained
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder or salt (I used powder because that's all I had)
1/4 tsp. onion powder
A pinch of salt (I have a low tolerance for salt, so I use a minimum)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add chicken, then turn down to a simmer. Let simmer about 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. - If stove blows a fuse, this step may take a little longer. :) When chicken is cooked through, remove from water. Cut into bite-size pieces.
2. Using the same water used to boil chicken, cook the spaghetti according package instructions. When spaghetti is finished cooking, drain and rinse, then return to pan.
3. Add to the pan the chicken, both soups, the diced tomatoes, milk, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Combine until ingredients are mixed through.
4. Transfer to a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish and sprinkle with the shredded Cheddar cheese.
5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

Delicious? Yes. Low-fat? Ummm no. Do I care? Not one bit. I thought it was great, and I actually made it without any help from Lee (well except for fixing the stove). That's all that matters to me.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! I just want to know, if my stove blows a fuse does Lee come to fix it? It is a part of the recipe..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he would. It would figure that the one time I decide to actually make a meal, the stove has to get uppity. I do not belong in a kitchen.

    ReplyDelete